More than 20 years ago, on the 23rd of April 1995, UNESCO organized for the first time the World Book Day (also known as World Book and Copyright Day). According to UNESCO, 23 April is a symbolic date for world literature: Cervantes, Shakespeare, and Inca Garcilaso de la Vega died on the 23rd of April 1616, and many more authors were born or died in the same day (in different years): Maurice Druon, Haldor K.Laxness, Vladimir Nabokov, Josep Pla and Manuel Mejía Vallejo (UNESCO).
I am sure most of you heard about Uber, the company that offers an alternative to taxis using its network of drivers. What you might not know is that Uber organizes different events/campaigns for a wide variety of causes. Just to name a few, in Bucharest we’ve had:
- UberKITTENS – spending 15 minutes with a kitten, all money raised were donated to associations for animal protection
- UberSNOW – snow removal teams helping citizens clear the streets
- UberIceCream – receiving free ice cream on a hot summer day (this was a global campaign)
Today, on the 26th of April, another Uber campaign took place, celebrating the World Book Day: #UberCitiDoR. Together with their partners, Uber drivers offered their customers tote bags with book-related content. What was even cooler was that you could only order the present, without actually using the Uber transportation service. The offer was available for only 3 hours (from 11:00 to 14:00).
After many unsuccessful attempts (because everyone was ordering it!), around midday I managed to order an #UberCitiDor! Here’s what I received:
- a copy of the Romanian magazine Decât o Revistă (DoR #26)
- a copy of the Romanian comic book Harap Alb Continuă
- a book written by a Romanian author – The Antidote by Cristina Boncea
- a black tote bag labeled UBER
Thank you so much, Uber! 🙂
I am excited about the goodies I received, especially because I can try two new things: the book by Cristina Boncea and the Romanian comic book. And I am most happy about the Romanian magazine (Decât o Revistă), as I used to read it quite often some time ago.
If you live in Bucharest, have you ordered the Uber gift bag? What goodies have you received?
Till’ next time … happy reading!